Friday, July 26, 2013

Fredericksburg Patriots Election:

Scott Cooper



To my friends in the Fredericksburg Region who have engaged in the local Tea Party Movement – or are simply a conservative who is concerned about the direction our republic is headed and just now feel the need to engage, I want to remind some of you, and let others know about a very important meeting this Sunday in Fredericksburg.

First, let me start by saying, I have very little faith in the Republican Party.  I didn’t get involved in the grassroots conservative movement because of the Democrats.  What pushed me up out of my chair and caused me to run out the door to my first rally was President George W. Bush, when in the fall of 2008 he uttered the words, “I have decided to abandon the free market system, in order to save the free market system.”  Prior to the financial meltdown, during the Bush Administration, while Republicans controlled all three branches of government our Federal Government, they chose not to slow the growth of government – but actually expanded it at an exponential rate.  Think about those two things and let them sink in for a minute or two before you consider what I am asking you to invest your time in this weekend, on what promises to be a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Second, think about one more thing before getting to my real request.  I have even less faith in Washington DC than I do in the Republican Party.  Our focus needs to be local for two main reasons.  First, the return on investment (ROI) of our time and labor is much greater when we focus local and at the state level.  Unless we build a farm team of conservatives all across the country at the local, county and state levels we will never be able to take on the leadership at the top.

I mention these two things because I believe the Tea Party is a key element of restoring the principles that made our country great: Individual Liberty, Personal Responsibility, Constitutionally Limited Government, Free Markets and Private Charity.  When you look at the top leadership of the Republican Party – there is no one who clearly articulates these principles.  More importantly, look at their voting patterns.  If there isn’t a solid mechanism in place to hold our republican elected leaders in place, history has shown they won’t lead appropriately – so The Tea Party is still needed, more than ever. 

Now to the main point:

This weekend The Fredericksburg Patriots are having their leadership election, where there are two candidates running for the position of Chairman.  You must be a paid member in order to vote, $ 20 per year for an individual and $ 30 for a couple).  I would strongly encourage you to attend this meeting, hear the plans of both men, vote and get engaged in helping steer this ship we call civil governance.  If you aren’t engaged yet, consider this.

I am friends with both men, and have an appreciation for both of them; however having observed and personally worked with both, I support Michael Hirsh. 

I believe each individual has gifts and talents which should be used for this movement; however at this point in the game, I believe a couple of things are critical for whomever is “leading the charge.” 


  • First, as I stated prior to being in a leadership position with FVP myself, as well as last year when my term was up, rotation of leadership is critical.  It is important that we consistently seek fresh blood and new ideas.  The other candidate has served on the FVP board for over three years.
  • Second, building coalitions with other groups is critical to our long term success.  I have witnessed Michael build coalitions with groups outside the Tea Party successfully not only at the local level, but throughout the state.
  • Finally, as we have seen, our movement has and will continue to come under attack, often not only from the left but often from those we think would be our friends.  Sadly, these conflicts often make it into the public eyesight.  As a result, it is important that those we ask to lead will articulate our ideas clearly and concisely in the public arena.  This position is the face of the entire organization.  I have watched Michael in the civic arena for over two years.  He is a man who is not only concise and articulate on our issues, but as a pastor of Calvary Christian Church and founder of Emmanuel Faith Christian School he has a track record of public speaking, which I believe we need at this point.

If anyone would like to call me to discuss, please feel free to call me at 540-455-9306.  If you leave a message, I promise to get back to you within 24 hours.  Just remember the meeting starts at 2 PM on Sunday!

Don’t forget, you need to be a paid member in order to vote on Sunday.  You can pay your membership online at www.FredVAPats.org or get there early and pay before the meeting on Sunday at 2 PM at Salem Church Library.  You can R.S.V.P. for the meeting by clicking here.



No comments:

Post a Comment